Whether you are new to self-tanning or you've been doing it for years, there is always something to learn about the process! To help you achieve the sexiest tan, we’ve compiled a list of good self-tan hacks. Each of these steps is vital to achieving a beautiful tan, no matter how obvious or small it may seem. Of course, ideal results come from perfect technique, so let’s start learning some good self-tan hacks!
- Make a tan plan: One of the most essential parts of a successful self-tanning routine is planning your tan. So what is involved in a tan plan? Here are a few essential things to remember. Before you start self-tanning, be sure to complete all your beauty treatments. This includes your manicure and pedicure, hair appointment, and hair removal. If you exfoliate or soak your feet after tanning, it can lead to fading and uneven color. Additionally, if you plan to dye your hair, it is best to do it before self-tanning, as hair chemicals can strip away the color on your skin. Finally, to prevent skin irritation, it is recommended to wax or shave the day before tanning to allow time for your skin to heal and your pores to close.
- Exfoliate: Before applying a self-tanner, exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells and create an even surface for the tanner to adhere to. Use a gentle exfoliating scrub or mitt to prep your skin. The more evenly exfoliated your skin is before applying sell-tanner, the longer your tan will last.
- Moisturize: Pay close attention to dry areas such as your elbows, knees, and hands. Dry skin will absorb more self-tanner, resulting in a darker, patchy appearance. To avoid this, moisturize your skin before applying self-tanner. You can also apply moisturizer after the self-tanner has dried thoroughly.
- Use a mitt and backband: A self-tanning mitt helps to distribute the tanner evenly and prevents streaks. Our buttery soft Bronzing Mitt and Bronzing Backband are specially designed to enhance your tan's smoothness and even tone. They also help protect your hands from absorbing unwanted product.
- Wash hands thoroughly: If you do not use a mitt or back band to apply your self-tanner, it is essential to wash your hands multiple times during the application process. If you are applying self-tanner with your bare hands, apply it to your body in sections, washing your hands after each section. This will decrease the likelihood of your palms absorbing more tanner than desired.
- Blend well: Use circular motions and blend the self-tanner into your skin, paying particular attention to the knees, elbows, and ankles. Apply less tanner over areas of skin that are already darker than the surrounding areas. For example, your knees and elbows will require less tanner than the surrounding skin. We recommend using a damp cloth to gently rub over your knees and elbows after application which will help to blend the tanner for a more natural-looking result.
- Use Vaseline over your knees, elbows, and hands: Vaseline is greasy and will prevent the self-tanner from absorbing into your skin on areas where you apply it.
- Take a cold shower before applying: This hack is helpful if your pores clog easily. The cold water will work to close your pores, preventing them from becoming clogged. This can be especially helpful when applying self-tanner to your face. Rubbing an ice cube over your face is also a great way to close your pores before applying any beauty product.
- Don’t apply self-tanner in a steamy bathroom: If like many people, you apply your self-tanner at night after showering, it can be tempting to apply your self-tanner in a steamy bathroom. Just remember that it will take your tanner longer to dry if you do this. Moving to a dry room or allowing your bathroom time to air out before applying the tanner is best.
- Contour: This hack may be the best one yet! Use a little extra tanner in target areas to appear slimmer and more tone. For example, apply a thin extra layer of tanner to the outside of your thighs to slim your legs. You can use the same technique on the muscle line beneath your bicep for an extra toned look! Be careful to start with only a tiny amount so your tan will look natural.
- Know your skin tone: Choose a self-tanner appropriate for your skin tone. For example, at Glow by Skalla, we formulated our self-tanner with violet undertones to complement your skin and combat orange hues.
- Touch-up: If you miss a spot or want to darken your tan, wait a few hours after the first application and then reapply the self-tanner to the desired areas.
- Wait to shower: Wait at least 8 hours before showering or getting wet to fully allow the self-tanner to develop.
- Maintenance: To maintain your tan, reapply your self-tanner every 3-7 days and exfoliate regularly to avoid patchiness.
It is also important to remember the following tips for a safe and effective self-tanning experience:
- Patch test: Before using a new self-tanning product, perform a patch test on a small area of skin to test the color and ensure you aren’t allergic to the product.
- Avoid overexposure to UV rays: Avoid staying in the sun for too long, even if you have a tan. Tanned skin does not equal sun protection. Overexposure to UV rays causes skin damage, so use 30 SPF or higher when outside.
- Wear protective clothing: In addition to sunscreen, protective clothing can help prevent sun damage.
- Use quality products: Invest in quality self-tanning products formulated to provide a natural, even tan without harsh ingredients. All Glow by Skalla products are made from the purest ingredients. So when you use our self-tanners, you can feel confident that you are doing something good for your skin!
We hope these fantastic self-tanning hacks help you achieve an endless summer glow that will make you look and feel gorgeous! Everyone wants to feel confident in their skincare and beauty products. Glow by Skalla makes it easy by formulating quality self-tanners with skin-nourishing ingredients that smell amazing and deliver natural-looking results!
If you're ready to use these good self-tan hacks, we've put together an excellent starter kit in our Flawless Finish Bronzing Box. It has everything you need to achieve a glowing, endless summer tan that makes you look like you just stepped off the beach!